Monday 11 July 2016

Royal Garden Party


https://www.royal.uk/our-garden-party-palace
Like me, I doubt whether you have ever been invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace. It is not a privilege that is extended to many. Perhaps if you have made some significant contribution to society, you are successful business person, sporting superstar, or winner of some award it is possible that you might be invited. I understand that if you are invited there is sent with your invitation a guide as to what you must wear. There is a standard of dress. Similarly, you may be advised on how to speak to members of the Royal Family, just in case you are introduced to one or more of them.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7067417.stm
I think we’d all agree that Lenny, the man in the second picture, is hardly dressed for the palace. Having been homeless for 29 years, according to the story, he doesn’t possess the right clothes and would not be seen as a suitable candidate to receive an invite. There could not be a sharper contrast between those in the dress of the palace and those like Lenny. Whilst some might criticise that contrast and the fact that some live in luxury whilst others live in poverty I want to use it to illustrate the Christian message.


Like Lenny we are ‘down and out’. That is a statement that describes our state before God. We are not fit for His presence. All of our best efforts are like the filthy rags of the person sleeping rough.[1] They will not gain us entry into the presence of a holy God. As sinners, we fall short of what God requires.[2] We might think we can present ourselves at the gate of heaven and be accepted but that is less likely to occur than if Lenny walked like that to the gate of Buckingham Palace and expected to be received at the Royal Garden Party. It would not happen. It will not happen to us for God’s standard is far higher than the Queen’s.

But the news of the Christian gospel is that a transformation can be made in all of us. It is not that we require a “wash and brush up”, as might be the case for the palace. That would be to change the outside only. What we need, and what the gospel of Christ can achieve, is a change from the inside out. Our sins can be blotted out – forgiven. We can be changed.[3] We can be made a new person in Christ. But how is that possible?


Some 2000 years ago Jesus Christ gave up His life on a Roman cross outside the ancient city of Jerusalem. That death, or sacrifice, was not an accident, or just a miscarriage of justice. It was a voluntary act to deal with the problem of our sin and guilt. As a Christian I can save that Jesus suffered and died there for my sin. He paid the penalty that I might be cleansed and made fit for God’s presence. I am trusting Him for my salvation.

I’ve never been to a Garden Party at the palace. I probably never will. But I do know that I will be received into heaven one day. I will see the face of my Saviour on that day. I know which I’d sooner have! What about you?


[1] Isaiah 64 verse 6
[2] Romans 3 verse 23
[3] 2 Corinthians 5 verse 17