Friday 15 November 2013

"I'll ring you back . . ."

Image from: http://www.amazon.co.uk/
Dictum meum pactum – My word is my bond.

Since 1801 this has been the motto of the London Stock Exchange where bargains are made with no exchange of documents and no written pledges being given. I think they have it in Latin as dictum meum pactum but it means the same thing. If you’re wondering what relevance that has for you, let me explain.
 
It was a trying experience. I thought it was just a simple insurance claim for a new windscreen but apparently it wasn’t. After getting nowhere with a call centre worker, I asked to speak to a supervisor. It seemed that the supervisor was unavailable at that moment but they promised he would ring me back. He didn’t. I rang again. The manager was “in a meeting”, but he would definitely ring back. He didn’t. Sound familiar? People make promises and don’t keep them. The saga dragged on for 24 hours before, finally, the matter was resolved.

To be fair it might not have been the manager’s fault. Something might have happened that meant he just couldn’t return my call. We’re not always able to honour our promises – we’re not in command of every circumstance.

The beauty of God’s message to you and I today is that if God promises it will come to pass. That’s really great. When I came to realize that I was a guilty sinner in need of God’s salvation, I trusted Christ. I wonder if you’ve ever come to that point. Have you ever realized that you have failed to live as God wants you to live? You have never given to God the place in your life that He deserves. You stand guilty and condemned before a holy God – that is the verdict of the Bible. Not just for you, but for me as well! What can we do? The answer is simple. We come to God and confess our failure – it’s time to say sorry and change the direction of our life forever. We must believe that Jesus Christ died in our place, bore the punishment for our sin, to provide salvation for us. God says, “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life”. The Lord Jesus said, “He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life . . . is passed from death unto life”. That’s a promise!

I’m confident that I am on my way to heaven. That would be a foolish thing to say if it wasn’t for the fact that God promised – I have “everlasting life”, a home in heaven, and peace with God. I’m not relying upon a human promise. When the Lord Jesus said, “I will come again, and receive you unto myself” nothing can stop Him from doing exactly that. That’s a promise and a hope worth having!