Monday 13 May 2013

A “humbling and sobering experience”


Image taken from http://www.independent.co.uk/
These were the words of the former Liberal Democrat MP, Chris Huhne. As he was released from prison today, he repeated his apology. Although he has only served a quarter of his sentence, it would seem that the former MP has learnt quite a lot during his time away. Humility may be a part of the lesson.

A dictionary definition of humility is: “having or showing a sense of lowliness or inferiority, modest”. We are all aware of those who fit the opposite definition. It is easy to tell people of your good points. Everybody likes praise, and some people like to sing their own praises! There are plenty of people who have a high opinion of themselves. The really hard thing is to admit you were wrong. As the song lyrics say, “sorry seems to be the hardest word”.

The Bible says quite a lot about humility. James wrote, “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up”. What does this mean? One of the things that we need to do is to admit that God is right and we are wrong. When God’s word, the Bible, says that we are sinners – those that have done wrong – how do we react? Do we protest? Do we try and argue our case as “good people”? Remember, God can look past the outer show that we put on for others! God looks right into our heart. He knows us better than anyone. He knows us for what we are! Plenty of people may look at me and think that I’m a healthy individual without knowing what’s going on inside.

Am I prepared to be humble? Will I admit that I’m a sinner before God? This is the first step to blessing. But, having admitted that I’m a sinner, am I sorry for what I’ve done? Will I turn my back upon my old life and place faith in Christ to forgive me my sin? These are the key questions in life. It would be good if we didn’t need to go to prison to learn humility in the presence of a holy God!